Lent is a time for spiritual renewal and a time to step up in our commitment to strengthening our relationship with Christ. Throughout this past year, parishioners have been on a journey of prayer, service, and sharing. All three of these components of discipleship are rooted in gratitude.
Being grateful disciples is based on a relationship: the relationship between Jesus and us. Christ is the center of all we do as disciples. Once there is an understanding that all we have and all we are is a gift from God, the natural response is to say ‘Thank you.’
How can we tell where we are in our relationship with Christ? We can use our calendar and checkbook to help us determine what we really care about. Billy Graham once said: “Give me five minutes with a person’s checkbook, and I will tell you where their heart is.”
- How do I spend the time entrusted to me? What are six things you spent the most time doing regularly this past year?
- How do I spend the financial resources entrusted to me? What are six things you probably spent the most money on this past year?
- If the number 1 equals low priority and the number 10 equals high priority, using actual time and money spent as a partial indicator, rate how high a priority God has been in your life.
- If the number 1 equals low priority and the number 10 equals high priority, how high of a priority would you like God to be in your life?
- What is one thing I could START that would help me make God a higher priority in my life?
- What is one thing I could STOP that would help me make God a higher priority in my life?
- What is one thing I could CONTINUE that would help me make God a higher priority in my life?
He will always make you rich enough to be generous at all times, so that many will thank God for your gifts which they receive from us. For this service you perform not only meets the needs of God’s people, but also produces an outpouring of gratitude to God. 2 Corinthians 9:12-13
May these sacred days be ones that allow us to rediscover the generous gifts that the Lord bestows on us.