Tis always the season to be grateful and remember the marvelous gifts God has given us. We are grateful for food and shelter, the love of family and friends, work that gives us dignity, and so many wonderful experiences that fill our days with joy.
I discovered a different kind of prayer of gratitude. The author is Cindy McMenamin, and I would like to share some of it with you.
- Thank you, God, for the times You have said “no.” They have helped me depend on You so much more.
- Thank you, God, for unanswered prayer. It reminds me that You know what’s best for me, even when my opinion differs from Yours.
- Thank you God, for doors You have closed. They have prevented me from going where you would rather not have me go.
- Thank you, Lord, for the physical pain You’ve allowed in my life. It has helped me more closely relate to Your sufferings on my behalf.
- Thank you, Lord, for the losses I have experienced. They have been a reminder that You are my greatest gain.
- Thank you, God, for the tears I have shed. They have kept my heart soft and mold-able.
- Thank you, God, for the greatest gift You could ever give me: forgiveness through Your perfect Son’s death on the cross on my behalf.
- Thank you, Father, that You know me, You hear me, and You see my tears. Remind me through difficult times that You are God. You save me from myself, my foolishness, my own limited insights, and my frailties in light of Your power and strength.